Minecraft is a block-based video game developed by Swedish game programmer and designer, Markus “Notch” Persson and Mojang Studios from Sweden. It was developed in the Java programming language and launched in 2011. A total of 238 million copies of the Minecraft game are sold to date and It has 140 million monthly active users as of 2021.
The game is a 3D world in which players try to craft tools and build many different structures from the raw material they extracted from the earth. The game revolves around blocks and the main objective of the players is to collect these blocks. The players can collect these blocks in any order. Dirt, Stone, Ores, Tree trunks, water, and Lava are some examples of these blocks.
Minecraft: Spin-off Games
There are three spin-off games developed on the Minecraft game. Following are details about those games.
- Minecraft: Story Mode
The game was released in 2019 and was developed by Telltale Games in collaboration with Mojang. The game can be played on Windows, OS X, iOS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox. The story revolves around Jesse and his friends. The story is about their journey to find The Order of the Stone to save the world.
- Minecraft Earth
The augmented reality sandbox game was developed for Android, iOS, and iPadOS users by Mojang Studios 2019. The game was launched as a free to play game. The mobile game contains all the features of the original game. The player can use and modify Minecraft-style structures and objects developed by other players. The game was shut down on 30 June 2021.
- Minecraft Dungeons
The game was mutually developed by Mojang Studios and Double Eleven. The game was launched on 26 May 2020 for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows, and Xbox One. The players have to deal with randomly generated monsters, traps, puzzles, bosses and finding treasure.
The game has five following playing modes:
- Survival mode: It is the most common and most played mode of the game. A player needs to collect natural resources for making certain blocks and items. Plates can craft different kinds of items in it such as swords, Axes and Armors. The game requires players to build a shelter at night.
- Hardcore mode: All the settings are locked in the hardest mode. It is a variant of survival mode. If a player dies in this mode, he or she can not be revived. They immediately transferred into the spectator mode.
- Creative mode: It is a kind of invincible mode where a character can not be damaged and there is no effect of hunger on them. They have full access to the inventory. They can build and remove any block at any given time.
- Adventure mode: This mode is nothing more than the survival mode of the game with some restrictions. It enables players to experience user-crafted custom maps and adventures. It tells players about various scripted server commands designed for custom maps.
- Spectator mode: In this mode, players can only fly through the game with various blocks. They can take part in the game. They can take a look at the game from a different perspective as they can teleport to other players.
Two movies are made based on the game. Following are the details of the movies.
Minecraft: The Story of Mojang
The is a documentary film based on the back story of making Minecraft game and the creation of Mojang studio. The film was released on Xbox Live on the 22nd of December 2012. The film contains various interviews of employees of the company.
- Untitled Minecraft film
The movie will be released in theatres on 4 March 2022. The movie will be a joint venture of Warner Bros. Pictures and Mojang studios. Peter Sollett will be the writer of the movie.
Following is the list of the most famous Minecraft characters in the whole universe.
- Alex: It is the gender-neutral or nonbinary character of Minecraft. But it is a female character as a default. The character has thin arms, a pony tail and red hair.
- Blaze: It is a mob character and part of the monster gang. They can fly and they can also shoot fireballs at the players. The blaze can be hurt by snowballs.
- Skeletons: these characters are undead, ranged hostile mobs equipped with bows. The skeletons can only be present in low light areas as sunlight can burn them completely.
- Steve: In the sandbox game, he is the main protagonist. Alex and Steve are two of the playable characters present in the game. He has also made a cameo in Borderlands 2.
- Ender Dragon: It is the first official boss mob of the game. The Ender dragon only appears at the end or final chapter of the game. It is a big black dragon with purple eyes and he can fly very fast. The dragon can demolish anything excluding obsidian, end stone, bedrock, command blocks and barriers.
- Wither: It main antagonist of the game other than Ender dragon. It is a three-headed mob boss and he can float anywhere in the game. It is considered the worst boss mob and the most dangerous monster.
- Wolves: These are neutral mobs as they can be friends with the main character or sometimes with the antagonists. They can be found only in forest, taiga, mega taiga, cold taiga, and cold taiga M biomes. They protect the players until their death.
- Zombie Pigmen: These characters live in the Nether and they are neutral mobs. They are found in a group of four. They are very aggressive and hostile characters. A Zombie Pigmen holds a golden sword in their right hand and wears a loincloth.
- Herobrine: it is the most creepy character of the game. It causes havoc on the player. It was never part of the main game but players claim that this is present in the game.
- Wither Storm: It is also known as the destroyer as he can defeat and destroy every block of the Minecraft game. It can split itself into three more Wither Storm when the player tries to kill it.